A global pet food manufacturing company built a new state-of-the art distribution center in the Kansas City area. The new DC was located next to its manufacturing facility and only 30 miles away from another manufacturing facility to maximize efficiency. The new DC would require 200 additional employees to the already 500+ employees at the two plants. The HR department was limited in size and did not have the resources to fully handle the hiring for the new DC. This company also liked the "try-before-you-buy" temp-to-hire arrangement. In addition, due to challenges with the computerized SCV's the DC was more reliant upon its temporary workforce than anticipated.
Our Approach and Solutions
- Created customized high-volume recruitment campaign including TV and radio ads, newspaper, onsite job fairs, area signage, community partnering, and more.
- Provided a team of Focus workforce coordinators and onsite managers onsite to provide 24/7 coverage.
- Developed standard operating procedures (SOP) specific to the DC's needs.
- Created customized GMP and safety policy specific to the facility.
- Implemented a state-of-the-art forklift, reach truck, and cherry picker training and certification program including onsite training and evaluations.
- Created custom orientation and on-boarding program to ensure workers were abreast of their job requirements, policies, and company goals.
- Logged more than 500,000 annual hours over multiple shifts and departments
- To improve tenure and reduce turnover, implemented Workwise safety training and orientation.
Over 3,000 candidates processed during initial recruiting blitz.
Focus trained and oriented over 1,000 candidates in one month.
Focus filled over 200 positions within three weeks of new facility start-up.
Less than 5% overtime due to effective staffing.
Fill-ratio of over 98%.
Underbudget by $200,000 due to reduction in overtime.
Turnover less than 9%.
Client able to convert over 90% of Focus employees.
Surpassed production goals by 115%.
Zero lost time injuries in first year.